The ARS Acronym/Terminology FAQ v3.5
by Martin Hunt
Stand: 22 Jul 2000
- two-way comm, two-way communication. Hyped-up technobabble for
simply talking between an auditor and a pc or a supervisor and a
student. Also TWC, Two-Way Comm. "Use 2WC on the PC to a win."
attempted abortion. According to L. Ron Hubbard's book
Dianetics, pregnant mothers routinely tried to kill their unborn
babies with knitting needles and douches, thus most people are
filled with AA engrams or hidden memories of pain. "The Preclear
had 51 AA incidents in her bank."
Hubbard's term for derangement or insanity. "The wog
world is heavily aberrated."
an instance of insanity. Also, another term for an
engram, or a hidden memory of pain and unconsciousness. "You are
putting Dev-T on my lines because of your fucking aberrations."
- Association for Better Living and Education. One of many
Scientology front-groups. The purpose of these front-groups is to
escape from the increasingly bad name Scientology has earned over
time by implementing its surprisingly vicious and vindictive
policies such as SP declares (in which perceived enemies of
Scientology are labeled as suppressive or destructive to
Scientology's aims), disconnection (whereby family members are told
to stay away from the rest of their family who are not
Scientologists), Fair Game (in which Scientology's enemies may be
sued, tricked, lied to, or destroyed, as per Scientology policy),
etc. "ABLE Int - Association for Better Living and Education
International - Oversees secular activities such as Applied
Scholastics, Narconon, Criminon, and The Way to Happiness
Foundation." - Jonathon Barbera. Able Int is now located at the
- the area in an Scientology organization (known as an Org)
in which the advanced training is carried out. Lower level training
is done in the Div 6, public division course room. "Route the raw
meat out of Div 6 and down into the academy to boost the stats."
- see Acknowledgement
- used to end a cycle of communication in Hubbard's
rather stilted communication theory. Usually a "good", "ok", "I got
that", or "thank you." "Give me an Ack, or I'll ramble on and on
until I ARC break."
- alt.clearing.technology. Often in small letters, "act", or
with periods, "a.c.t." The hangout for the relics of the cult who
still practice the strange "technology" or rituals developed by
Hubbard, but who have left the cult of Scientology proper. Of
course, some people have it that the group actually deals with acne
pimple remedies... See also ARS.
- an auditing or processing regimen; an instance of the
application of Scientology's "technology" on a person.
- after Dianetics. Used on issues such as HCOBs and HCOPLs
(Hubbard Communication Office Bulletins and Policy Letters) to show
the year. It is based on the Christian calendar, but with a base
year of 1950 with the release of Hubbard's book "Dianetics"; thus
AD 15 = anno Domini 1965.
- administration. Detailed bureaucracy taken to new heights;
thousands of green on white issues written by L. Ron Hubbard
(Hubbard Communication Office Policy Letters) cover the design of
this monumental testament to inefficiency that would make IBM
proud. The OEC Vols (Organization Executive Course or Green
Volumes) cover most of the Admin policy.
- Admin Dictionary,
- a large green Scientology dictionary made up of
quotes from L. Ron Hubbard that defines some of the thousands of
new terms Scientology introduced with its massive administration
- L. Ron Hubbard. A final self-bestowed promotion, given
humbly to himself (there was no one else to do it) by Hubbard just
before his death. L. Ron Hubbard was also referred to as Ron,
Source (capitalized), LRH and the Commodore.
- A Divine Operating Religion of Excellence; a splinter group.
See Free Zone.
- used as a synonym for love or like.
- a condition or level of high and climbing production.
Aptly named, as higher production means more money. "The stats will
be in screaming affluence again this Thursday at 2:00."
- to alter the way something really is, and thus to create
a persistence. See As-Is. "If the Flag Rep
keeps Alter-Ising the Tech, she'll be K/R'ed!"
- Amends Project,
- a way for a down-stat (not producing enough or
looking less than fixedly happy) Scientologist to get back in good
graces. Usually involves long hours scrubbing toilets and such,
followed by a mass petition collecting signatures of completion to
break down the willpower and personality of the cult indoctrinee
based on group rejection/ acceptance, peer-pressure and milieu
control. "Jan's doing an Amends Project, as part of his Ethics
Cycle; I'm not signing his petition until he cleans my room to
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania. One of Scientology's
"continents". See CLO.
- Advanced Organization. A Scientology group that delivers the
higher parts of the Bridge, such as Operating Thetan (OT) 1-8, the
Ls (lists that are shouted out to the patient), etc.
- Advanced Organization of Los Angeles - this org has had at
least three different locations in LA over the last 30 years, and
is currently at the Cedars complex.
- Advanced Organization Saint Hill for Australia, New
Zealand and Oceania.
- Advanced Organization/Saint Hill Europe - in Denmark. Also
referred to as AOSH DK - located in Copenhagen.
- AOSHUK, Advanced Organization/Saint Hill United Kingdom - at Saint
Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex, England.
- was one of L. Ron Hubbard's ships in his toy navy. Ron
loved to play sailor-man. See Flag.
- Affinity, Reality, and Communication; when a cultie meets a
cultie, a comin' through the rye. ARC is used as a synonym for love
or like or general warmth to be applied to raw meat marks (green
Scientologists) to smooth the earlier stages of brainwashing. ARC =
understanding, according to L. Ron Hubbard. The ARC triangle is
inferior to the KRC triangle, which stands for Knowledge,
Responsibility, and Control...which equal money. "Use a little more
ARC when you reg people in, Sam."
- ARC break or ARC-X,
- a break in affinity, reality or communication
between two people causing upset, anger or tears.
- ARC breaky,
- describing someone who is prone to ARC breaks, qv.
the newsgroup this FAQ is posed to. Often lower-case; "30,000 people a month
read ars, according to Arbitron." (ars) after a definition shows that the
source of the term is ars; terms which are sourced from Scientology itself
have nothing after them. (act) is for terms from
- Alt.Religion.Scientology Central Committee; It is a game.
The OSA Scientologists have tried to represent opposition to Scientology as
emanating from one or other focus - at first, it was Dennis Erlich. Later,
it was FactNet. At other times and in other contexts the opposition has been
represented as 'psychs' and the now-destroyed 'CAN' (the Cult Awareness
Network). ARSCC (Alt.Religion.Scientology Central Committee) is just a kid's
game, a troll, like the game of 'there is no Cabal' which is played on
newbies on alt.culture.usenet.
There is no ARSCC, so it is no use begging me to send you the Red and Blue
codebooks. Even if I had them, I'd have to deny their existence. There is a
real inspiration for this. At various times, Hubbard would allude in his
bulletins to shadowy organizations such as 'Smersh' and 'The Tenyaka
Memorial'; another example, taken from his mythology, is 'The Fifth Invader
Force'. Another time, he described the opposition as just twelve highly
powerful suppressives (yes, bankers and financiers). He just loved to spin
yarns, and in honor of this, we do the same. (Tony Sidaway)
- American Saint Hill Organization Day - located at same place
as ASHOF in the Cedars Complex, Los Angeles.
- American Saint Hill Organization Foundation (night and
weekend org) - located at 1413 N. Berendo Street (now L. Ron
Hubbard Way) LA CA 90027. Previously ASHOF was located at 2723 West
Temple Street, LA (from 1968 until 1977).
- Author Services Inc.
- A Scientology front-group whose purpose is to skim money out of the
organization and channel it to the person at the top, formerly L. Ron
Hubbard. Also called Author Services. Jonathon Barbera: "Not officially on
the chart. Probably immediately under RTC. It is senior to all other
organizations but is not part of the command channels. Probably owns the
copyrights and is in charge of LRH PR projects, the vaults of LRH's
writings, and collecting money (through royalties) for LRH." ASI spends its
money on several things: "special properties" ie, prints, rare books, LRH
signed books for the Preservation of the Tech project - the bomb-proof
shelters in the desert. ASI also contributes to dissemination of Dianetics,
and operates the "Writers of the Future" SF contest held each year.
- ASI - Applied Scholastics International, a cult educational front group.
- to look at something and make it vanish like magic. "Jim
as-ised and blew some charge is session today." See Alter-Is.
- a pun on Scientology's pseudopsychological "auditing"
therapy, likening it to an addictive drug (benzedrINE, etc.)
- the action of running Scientology or Dianetic processes
on a PC (a preclear; someone receiving Scientology processing).
Auditing usually involves a Meter, with the PC holding onto the
soup cans electrodes, and the Auditor taking down notes and asking
questions. "Auditing in the HGC costs over $500 per hour."
- the person who uses an E-Meter (a simple, ineffective lie-detector
used in Scientology with a needle and soup cans for electrodes) to find
Overts (undisclosed acts) and Engrams (incidents of pain and
unconsciousness) and audits them out of the person receiving auditing or
- Author Services Incorporated,
- see ASI.
- Authorization, Verification and Correction, now the AVU,
Authorization, Verifications and Corrections Unit. Set up to ensure
that all the drivel that comes out is "on source" and not "off
policy". AVC is part of RTC, originally it was the approval line
for drivel coming out of the FLB, but now their imprimatur has to
be on everything. The imprimatur means that the issue has been
reviewed by a Scientology authority and has been given "IA", or
Issue Authority (seal of approval).
- see AVC.